Sunday, September 7, 2008

Cans of food everywhere and not a bite to eat

OK, maybe my original estimations about the state of my weekly finances was premature. I was hoping to make quite a bit of moolah tonight, but it turned out to be a dud. I made $25 and decided to leave.

So, this week I made $252 in tips, which is $48 under budget. However, I'll come up with exactly the amount needed, if I don't spend anything until Tuesday (which is the next day I work) and use the small amount I had hoarded away in an envelope (it wasn't for any particular purpose, but it's a shame that I have to spend it. But I suppose that is what budgeting is for, so I can learn to be more responsible. Still, it will be hard for me to go another three days without spending anything. But maybe I will learn to be more mature after not eating out for an entire week. I'll keep you appraised of my restraint.
Go to fullsize image

I will admit though, the next couple days will be harder though. When I have classes and than have to work, I don't have time to eat out. But the next two days are my pseudo-weekend and thus I have plenty of time to get bored with my own cooking.
Go to fullsize image

Now let me get something straight. I am not some McDonalds junkie who cannot live without her daily dose of fry grease, but as a student living on campus, I have about 400 cheap restaurants within a couple blocks and I don't usually have the time (or kitchen space) to create meals. I am an adequate cook, my my kitchen is about the size of an airplane's bathroom and even the smallest culinary endeavor makes it look like a war zone. Plus I don't normally buy a lot of groceries as I would rather eat out.

It's funny how I can look inside my stuffed cabinets and overflowing refrigerator and think I have nothing to eat, but most is canned vegetables and food that takes time to prepare. Not exactly the food you want to come home to after a 16 hours of classes, homework and serving customers. I often read about people in the countries that you never hear about except to feel sorry about, like South Africa. The kind of countries that your parents say "Eat your brussell sprouts, kinds in Africa are starving". They could probably live for months on the food in my minuscule galley.

Enough about my eating habits, although I am now craving raw salmon with soy sauce (stop thinking about it, darn it!).
Go to fullsize image
I was reading a post in the blog "Almost Frugal" about whether bloggers should remain completely anonymous or have it be a tell all. I will admit that I am somewhere in the middle, I am not using my real name but I am using my financial figures and experiences. Plus, it would be rather easy to figure out who I really am. I am remaining slightly anonymous because I talk about my job and I would hate to get fired for saying something slightly disgruntled (though I really like my job).

I just don't understand why Americans are so sensitive to the issues of money. I plan on being a financial journalist so I find talking about money easy. But if you ask my grandparents about anything to do with money they get very irritated and say that it isn't polite to talk about money.
Money is something that everyone uses and needs but yet we talk more about our sex lives than our bank accounts.

Jeepers, our society is weird.

On that note, write you later. Wish me luck on not going over budget and getting done with my mountain of homework.
Go to fullsize image

Cheers!

No comments: