Thursday, September 18, 2008

AIG stress and loving life

In my journalism classes today, we all discussed the AIG bail-out. I did the math and the $85 billion the government gave to to guys on Wall Street and what that means to the American public. Since there are about 300 million people, that translates to about $280 a person to save this insurance company, jeepers. I don't know whether I will actually be affected by that, but I am not particularly thrilled by the idea of a big bill looming over me at the end of the month. I've never owed taxes before, I usually get money back. So I don't know. If this will help stabilize the economy and keep us from reliving the Grapes of Wrath (shudder).
Go to fullsize image

But after seeing my bonds fall about 4% (nothing compared to the stock market, but still, I don't like seeing my money getting smaller) I went to see my investment pimp. He told me that my stuff is pretty secure and the market should get close to bottoming out, and that it is a great time to buy. I don't really mind as long as it starts rising again.


But other than that, I am doing great financially. I guess that the students have gotten back in routine because the restaurant has been popping. I made $102 tonight, $89 yesterday and about $150 on Friday. I am very happy with this amount. I will be well over budget if it stays like this. Plus I have plenty of time for school work and even a bit of extra-curricular dating.

The extra amount of work doesn't seem to be hurting my grades (yet), as I seem to have straight A's right now, yay me!
Go to fullsize image
My only issue right now, is I seem to be getting comfortable with my finances and thus begun clicking away at Ebay. I bought a couple winter stuff, a heater for winter, pimple stuff (eww) that everyone seems to think is a miracle cure (for my sister and my occasional icky spot), a nightgown, and a couple sweaters.

Bad me, but I'm sure it will all work out.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Three words: "my investment pimp." LOL, hilarious. Congrats on the money rolling in! I know how easy eBay makes it to blow tons on clothing. :) When I was in college, sometimes I would stay up till the wee morning hours, glass of wine in one hand, mouse in the other, buying the cutest clothes and shoes for cheap. (Confession: Every once in a while I still do this, haha!)