Thursday, August 21, 2008

Goals for the rest of August:

My goals for the last week and a half or so of August are as such;

The image “http://www.nevblog.com/images/piggy_bank_save.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Investments: $1000


I want to be able to put around $1000 in my Wells Fargo investment account. I like this account because it accrues around 5% interest but there is almost none of the risk that would be in the stock market. Five percent is not a whole lot but if I am able to put away the $24,000 in two years that I am shooting for, I would earn almost $2000 in interest. I'm really excited that putting this much away is within reach because it is one of the 'best case scenarios' and I know that this month was going to be the hardest because I had just started at my new job and unable to get many hours at it due to my last job.



Pay off debt: ~$100

credit-card by b.franchina.


I am trying rather hard to make sure I don't get in over my head with my credit card so I have only been using it to buy groceries which I budget as being around $100 a month. I am a little over budget this month because for some reason I got charged overdraft. Sucks. But I am going to try and wipe the slate clean before September.

Bills: ~around $260
http://www.orange.co.uk/images/editorial/generalarticle/money/sr/bills_mar05_170.jpg

Electric: I have already paid my electric bill for this month, but it hasn't hit my account yet. It was still really high but as it is Tucson in the summer, I pretty much cannot live without the A/C. I did manage to lower the bill a bit from last month, around $20, by keeping the heat up an extra 5 degrees.

Rent: I am lucky enough to have a roommate (really my younger sister, but she gets social security and I get $500 a month for her expenses that I put towards rent). I pay $140 for my share. This is due between September 1st and 3rd.

Phone: It is more annoying than you'd think having a landline and it costs somewhere around $40 but it is a good back up. Last year, two days before a major article was due for one of my classes, my cell phone broke and I ended up not being able to interview people. I would rather pay the$40 just in case.

Vacation: $100


Trolley System San Francisco, CA by Walter G. Arce.
The last and least important of my financial goals is to put one hundred away for my vacation to San Francisco for my 21st birthday in December. The reason that this is the most unnecessary is because I already saved $500 plus my economic stimulus check of $300. I already paid for my hotel and flight so everything left is pretty much fluid. I plan of shopping a lot as I am going the day after Christmas (all those sales...) and I want to eat whatever I want without feeling guilty about overspending. But I am pretty decent on my trip fund. Anything left over from the vacay will go back into my emergency fund.

*********************************************************************************
Financial Aid Check

So I have my financial aid check from my school in my hot little hand. A check for $2044 just waiting to be spent is not a good idea so I need to get it away from me as fast as possible. I already have it budgeted as well;

Health insurance: I am giving my grandpa $750 for six months of health insurance. He doesn't know it yet and I am excited because I don't think he expects me to actually contribute anything.
Emergency Fund: I'll put $1000 in my emergency fund to start rebuilding it. It is there in case of a medical issue or if I lose my job.

Dinner: For all their support in the last five months I have decided to treat my grandparents (and myself of course) to a dinner at our favorite restaurant, Pinnacle Peak. It is one of the best steakhouses in Arizona (huge, outdoor grilled chunks of meat...yum. I am assuming it will come up to around $80. That will be around $21 each person, plus about $5 tax, and a generous tip, (being a server, it is just bad karma not to tip other servers well).

Shopping Spree: I know it is a little irresponsible but I figure 1/20ith of my financial aid could go for fun stuff at the mall. I don't know when I'll be able to get back there once the semester starts, so I'll probably to a couple laps this Sunday. I'm planning on spending around $120, including lunch for that day. I'm going to try and get a pair of jeans or two (I live in them, during the school year), some more shampoo and conditioner, I'm going to check out and possibly split the cost of a wet to dry hair straightener, and tinted chapstick. I also need to force my sister to get several pairs of Victoria's Secret undies. She keeps stealing my underwear, even after she bought twenty pairs of wal mart brand. Needs to stop.






No comments: