Thursday, August 28, 2008

The beginning of chaos...plus, sex for food?

Wow, I've forgotten how demanding school is. Usually the first week is easy going, just 'getting-to-know-you' exercises and going over the syllabus. But this week, jeepers, the teachers just jumped right in, I had homework on the first night and I have two papers due on Tuesday. Add that to a near full work schedule (30 hours a week) and I've been very busy.
I haven't worked any full shifts at work, and in some ways I am glad. I've worked about 5pm till about 11pm every night except from Sunday. I've done pretty well for the limited amount of hours worked, I'm averaging about $65-$70 a night. I also have two paychecks coming this week, I received one from my serving job, a respectful $160 and I'll get a smaller one from old job that I have no idea on, anywhere from $50-$100.
Looking over my finances, I should just about break even on my finances. So far I need:
Rent: $140
Vacation Fund: $125
Christmas: $75
Phone: $40

Grand total: $380

Image Preview

*I'd also like to earn an extra $45 for my non-essential expenses next week. I allow myslef about $5 a day for food and an extra $10 for some fun. For example, on Sunday I am going to the student movie theater to see the Indiana Jones movie which is $3 a ticket and I'll get popcorn and a soda, for a grand total of $5. Compare that to $20 in a real theater.

I have $130 in my purse to go to the bank tomorrow, and I'll most likely make $100 between tomorrow and Saturday. I'll also have my unknown amount of paycheck, and if I have to I'll break into my restaurant check, but I'd prefer to use that for next month.

So I should come out a little ahead, yay!

I also received another financial aid check (Thank you UofA!) which will go into my emergency fund. I should also be able to put another couple of hundred into that account because of another scholarship, but I won't count on that one until it's in my hand.

On the other hand, my kind Grandpa sold me his printer, which as a student I need desperately, so I need to give him $45 for my half, and a ream of paper. I told him I'd pay him back in September.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\
On the school side, I am really excited about my classes this year. All of them are teaching me stuff that I can actually use, and they are all incidentally connecting with each other, which is definitely gratifying. For example, one of my assignments for my Business Writing course is to make a professional portfolio, then in my News Technology course, we have to build a website and put a resume on it.

I'm also going to try and get an internship at the local business newspaper, which would definitely make me more valuable to a San Francisco paper as I'd have news experience. I have two issues that may keep me from working there however, the editor and I don't have the best relationship as there was problems with my paychecks getting lost in the mail, three times. I also do not have a car, which would make it very difficult to get to the newspaper's office.

But I will tailor a resume and a portfolio and try to get a paid internship.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Off the topic, I was reading an article in Cosmopolitan (so shallow, I know) about women and men and how they view money in a relationship. I haven't had too many relationships, but I do know that I have no problem paying for my own stuff. In fact, I think it is ridiculous not to. I don't see why, nowadays, men should pay for women (unless of course it is a special occasion, like my birthday) I have a job, and while I am not wealthy, I should pay for my own stuff. If the guy pays, I feel like I owe him, and I am not willing to give sex for a nice dinner.

What do you guys think?
Image Preview

No comments: