Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fall has hit Tucson

The temperature is a steady eighty degrees, the leaves are green and still fully attached to their branches and the girls are still flaunting the mini skirts. Yes...fall is here in full course in Tucson but as we don't actually have seasons we don't notice. We see pictures of New York or Connecticut where they have falling leaves in bright orange, but all we have is thousand degree heat and cold winter, no in between.
Go to fullsize image
I forgot the time of year until I went to the grocery store and I was shocked...orange and yellow and greens! It was amazing. Unfortunately I was a bit overzealous and I now have a pumpkin, several squash, a big bag of potatoes and onions and yams and corn. And for a good measure, a can of cranberry sauce. It's like Thanksgiving a month early. But when you don't have a car, carrying a pumpkin on a bike isn't fun.
Now all I need is to figure out how to cook a pumpkin.
Any ideas?
Happy fall guys!

2 comments:

FruGal said...

I never get tired of pumpkin in fall, I could eat it every day! My favourite way to cook it is to cut a couple of chunks, put them on a baking tray with some olive oil, salt, pepper and a pinch of chilli flakes and bake it. Yum!

Samantha S. Easter said...

Thanks FruGal! It sounds just like acorn squash, only much more massive. I guess I'll get to play like the movie Psycho and get the huge carving knife.